WHAT ARE COOKIES
Cookies are small text strings sent by the applications visited by the User to his terminal (usually the browser), where they are stored to be retransmitted to the same applications at the following visit of the same User.
The word Cookie relates both to the same cookies as well as to all similar technologies.
Cookies are used in order to faster access to online services and to improve the activity of browsing of the User through session tracking, storage of information, faster uploading of contents, etc.
TYPES OF COOKIES
Cookies are classified as follows:
First-Party Cookies: proprietary cookies used by the Site in order to enable the User to browse more efficiently and/or monitor the actions he exercises;
Third-Party Cookies: cookies that are set from a Site other than the one the User is currently visiting in order to allow him to browse more efficiently and/or to monitor the actions exercised by him.
Furthermore, there are different types of cookies:
- Technical and Analytics Cookies: cookies regarding activities strictly necessary for the operation and provision of the service (ex. session cookies to log in), cookies related to the activity of saving preferences and of optimization (ex. cookies to save the cart or language choices/currency, etc.), analytical cookies for the collection of information in an anonymous and aggregate form.
Technical cookies include:
- Session or Browsing Cookies: used to keep track of the activity of User in the internet. They guarantee normal browsing and use of the Site, allowing for example to rapidly browsing and make a purchase or to authenticate for accessing to restricted areas, and are actually necessary for its proper functioning;
- Functional Cookies: allow the User to browse in accordance to a set of selected criteria (for example, language, products selected for the purchase, etc.) in order to improve the service offered to the User;
- Analytics Cookies: used to collect information regarding the use of the Site. The Data Controller uses this information for statistical analysis and to improve the Site and to simplify its use, as well as to monitor its correct functioning. This type of cookie collects anonymous information regarding the activity of Users in the Site and regarding the modalities in which they reached the visited Site and the pages. Cookies in this category are sent from the site itself or from third-party domains. Analytical cookies may be:
- First-Party Analytics Cookies: assimilated in terms of regulation to technical cookies whether used by the Data Controller of the Site without profiling the User, but exclusively to collect information, in an aggregate and anonymous form, regarding the number of Users and how they visit the Site for statistical purposes and to improve the performance of the site;
- Third-Party Analytics Cookies: are made available by third parties and are assimilated to technical cookies if third parties do not make User profiling by using appropriate tools to reduce the identification potential of cookies (for example, by masking significant portions of the IP address) and without integrating gathered information with other information already made available.
- Profiling Cookies: used to track User browsing on the internet and to create a profile of his habits:
- First-Party Profiling Cookies: installed by the Data Controller to create User profiles in order to send advertising messages in line with the preferences displayed in the browsing in the internet. Given their particular invasiveness in the private sphere of Users, the applicable law requires that Users, prior adequate notice regarding the use of the relevant cookies, must give their consent;
The use of these cookies requires the acquisition of prior consent of the User.